Working on Campus

The following information is relevant to current SUNY Morrisville students only. Employment opportunities for non-students are found on the college's Human Resources page.

Hundreds of SUNY Morrisville students gain valuable work experience and earn money for educational expenses in on-campus jobs through the college's Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Student Temp Services programs, and with Morrisville Auxiliary Corporation (MAC), which operates our dining halls, residential apartments, and other facilities. Details about the eligibility standards and application process for each follow.

On-campus positions are highly competitive, especially for first semester freshmen, so if you are interested in working, apply to multiple positions and as soon as positions open, and connect with Career Services for assistance. The majority of jobs are for a maximum of six to 10 hours a week to allow as many students as possible the opportunity to work.

Documents Required for Hiring

Federal law requires that you present proof of your identification and your authorization to work in the U.S. before you can begin a job. These documents must be originals and current; copies and expired documents cannot be accepted. Make sure to bring the following with you when you come to campus so you can start your job at the earliest date possible.

Required documentation to be set up on the payroll

Proof of identification: one of the following:

  • photo identification such as a SUNY Morrisville ID card, driver’s license, US Military card, or State or Federal ID card that includes a photo


Proof of work authorization: one of the following

  • Social Security card, original or certified copy of your birth certificate, US passport, Alien Registration Card, Native American Tribal Document, or Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the US Department of State

If you have already been on the SUNY Morrisville payroll under your current name and work authorization status, you do not have to resubmit the aforementioned documentation.

Direct Deposit option

You can have your paycheck deposited directly to a checking or savings account, or collect it in person through our Business Office. If you’d like to have your paycheck direct-deposited, please bring a deposit slip for that account to campus as well. You are paid once every two weeks.

Additional forms to be completed

There are three additional forms you need to complete with the Payroll Office before you can begin working your FWS or Student Temp Services job, unless you already have worked for SUNY Morrisville. More details about completing those forms will be provided by our Human Resources office.

Hiring Information for 2020-2021

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Jobs funded through the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program are open only to students awarded FWS in their 2020/21 Financial Aid award letter. Contact Financial Aid to see if you were awarded it or learn how to check for yourself.

If you were awarded FWS, you will need to apply to, interview for, and be selected for a position, just as you would in the general job market. FWS jobs will be posted in Handshake, the college’s career management system, shortly before the start of classes. At this time, students awarded FWS have been e-mailed information about the search and application processes, and should access Handshake using their SUNY Morrisville log in to learn how it works. Students awarded FWS will be e-mailed when actual job postings go live. 

FWS employees are paid bi-weekly for actual hours worked at a rate of $11.80/hour in Fall semester and $12.50/hour in Spring semester. The maximum number of hours weekly is seven. Please note that unlike grants, loans, and scholarships, FWS awards cannot be credited towards outstanding balances due on your student bill.

Find FWS Jobs on Handshake

Student Temp Service

Student Temp Service jobs do not require a Federal Work-Study award, but may require a specific technical skill or an experience, with a limited number having more general requirements. The pay rate is $11.80/hour in Fall semester and $12.50/hour in Spring semester. Student Temp Service jobs require an average commitment of six to ten hours a week and are typically for the length of the academic year.

Student Temp Services jobs for 2020/21 will be posted in Handshake, our new career management system, shortly before the start of classes. All enrolled students have an account in Handshake that can be accessed using their SUNY Morrisville log in information.

Hiring for Resident Assistant (RA) positions in SUNY Morrisville residence halls is typically completed in the middle of the semester before the position would start (mid/late October for Spring semester, mid-March for Fall semester). Any vacancies at the beginning of a semester will be posted in Handshake.

Find Student Temp Service Jobs on Handshake

Morrisville Auxiliary Corporation (MAC)

MAC, which is related to the College, but a separate legal entity, hires for student support in Mustang Alley, Seneca Dining Hall, Smooth Jazzy Joz cafe, The Copper Turret restaurant, and other service areas. MAC is the largest student employer on campus and offers the greatest number of weekend and evening hours.

Information about current job openings and the application process can be found through the Student Application link on their website. Only completed applications will be considered. Follow up should be done directly with MAC at their Hamilton Hall office or by calling 315.684.6047.

MAC Student Application