What is CSTEP?
SUNY Morrisville’s Collegiate Science & Technology Entry Program (CSTEP) is a scholars program designed to prepare minority and economically disadvantaged students for careers in scientific, technical, engineering, mathematical, health-related and licensed professions. The program, which is part of a statewide effort to address the issue of minority under-representation in the STEM and licensed professions, emphasizes academic preparation and achievement, and career awareness.
Sponsored by the New York State Education Department, SUNY Morrisville’s program is one of 49 that exist on college campuses throughout New York State.
CSTEP provides students with a unique college experience that combines academic services and activities with a variety of networking and career-advancement opportunities. Participants share invaluable social interaction and congenial support with fellow students, as well as receive customized strategies for success in both professional and personal aspects of life.
Students are encouraged to apply during their first year but may do so at any point during their college career. Once accepted, students are expected to participate in academic and career activities and maintain academic excellence.
Eligible Students Must Be:
- In good academic standing and enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or graduate program
- A New York State resident
- Planning to study in the fields of Science, Technology, Mathematics, Engineering, or Licensed professions
- Economically disadvantaged (as defined by New York State income guidelines) or African American, Latino, Native American, or Alaskan Native
- Academic, career and personal counseling
- One-on-one and group tutoring
- Enrichment workshops
- Licensure preparation
- Financial assistance with licensing fees
- Trips/tours, including conference opportunities
- Social activities
- employment, scholarship, or educational references
- Financial assistance with graduate school applications
- Graduate school exam preparation
- Recognition awards
- Meet new people and become part of a family